The lake Starnberger See
The Lake Starnberg has a surface area of approximately 56 square kilometres (22 sq mi) which makes it to the fourth largest lake in Germany. The lake Starnberger See is located in the southwest of Bavarians capital, the beautiful Munich. The lake Starnberger See has a maximum depth of 127 metres, a lenght of 20.2 kilometers and a maximum width of 4.7 kilometers. There is a 46 kilometer long hiking / biking trail around the lake. Like the lake lake Ammersee, the lake Starnberger See developed as a result of the ice age glaciers melting.
The lake Starnberg / Starnberger See has a single, small island, the Roseninsel (Rose Island) with a royal villa of the former Bavarian King Ludwig II. The single outlet, called the Würm river (because of this river the lake Starnberg was called the Würmsee until the 1960s). Its major inflow comes from several small lakes in the south, the Osterseen.
We are sorry for not having translated the extensive content of our BAYregio-Starnberger-See website. But we offer you this site in English and hope that by explaining the most important things you will not have any problems with the other sites in German language:
On the following three websites, you could look for your accommodation. Please select the accomodation there by clicking on the letter-icon and write your inquiry. Most of the hosts do have at least a basic knowledge of the English language.
- hotels / rooms near the lake Starnberger See
- apartments near the lake Starnberger See
- campingsites near the lake Starnberger See
On the following websites, we offer much more information and impressions with many pictures of the lake Starnberg.
- picture gallery of the lake Starnberger See
- webcams around the lake Starnberger See
- events in the near surrounding
Big map of lake Starnberg
Town around the lake
- Starnberg, Pechra, Söcking, Hanfeld, ... in the North
- Berg, Aufkirchen, Leoni, ... in the East
- Münsing, Ammerland, St. Heinrich, Holzhausen, ... in the East
- Seeshaupt in the South
- Bernried in the West
- Tutzing, Traubing, Unterzeismering, ... in the West
- Feldafing, Wieling, ... in the West
- Pöcking, Possenhofen ... in the West